17 February 2017

The problem with polonchay

Garlic polonchay (Chinese spinach)

I have on occasion been chided for cooking with ingredients that are not available locally (or even in the broader domestic market). The implication being that I have no business sharing recipes with “ordinary” cooks here at home whose kitchens are not as well stocked.

What can I say? Some people collect shoes. Or bags. My mother likes frog-themed knickknacks. I go for books. And condiments (particularly patis or fish sauce) of fine quality. Why should I feel bad about providing my family with the best culinary experience that I can muster? Isn’t that what every kusinero or kusinera aspires to?

I have seen people make very good food with whatever basic ingredients are available to them. That’s a cook’s greatest asset right there (although I myself can not claim to be that cook). The dish pictured here, for example, has four ingredients: polonchay (Chinese spinach), garlic, salt, and pepper. Very simple, except for the fact that polonchay is not available locally. We have tangkong (water spinach) and alugbati (vine spinach), but not Chinese spinach. A pity, really, because I much prefer polonchay to alugbati (slimy) or tangkong (a tad tough).

(By the way, polonchay belongs to the amaranth family. I only mention this to avoid confusion with Chinese tangkong, which is of the morning glory family and very common here.)

Stir-fried polonchay (Chinese spinach) with garlic

Now here’s the interesting thing: I bought the polonchay at Metro Ayala in Cebu. From the sticker, I deduced that the spinach came from a company called “JJ,” which also supplies the vegetables sold at the similarly-owned local Metro. So the question is, how come we don’t get polonchay here? Or garlic scapes, for that matter? They can’t be any harder or more delicate to transport than the greens we do get (like sorry-looking lettuce, and, oddly enough, regular spinach), so it can only be due to the same reason we don’t get peanut oil, black vinegar, hon-dashi, and decent fish sauce.

How hard can it be to grow polonchay? I’m about to find out (I purchased a pack of seeds). At least it’s very easy to cook. Soak cleaned spinach in cold water to firm them up, then drain well. Fry minced garlic in a tablespoon of vegetable oil over low heat. When golden, remove garlic from oil and set aside. Turn heat up to high, add spinach, and sauté to evenly coat with oil. Cook two minutes or until wilted, season with salt and pepper, remove to a plate, and top with fried garlic. Serve hot.

This is one healthy dish. The thing is, it pairs extremely well with fatty food like grilled pork belly. I have no problem admitting guilt to doing just that. There — everybody happy now?

This post has 14 comments.

  1. Polonchay is different from kangkong? We have black vinegar and peanut oil in sm supermarket or landmark. Hondashi is sold in japanese groceries in quezon city or cartimar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in a big city has its own conveniences, indeed. Yes, polonchay is different from kangkong, although they are both referred to as spinach.

      Delete
    2. Hi! What is the taste of Hondashi?

      Delete
  2. Polunchay is Chinese spinach. It usually is available in bigger markets like cartimar or farmers. Kangkong is swamp cabbage. The two are different. You can tell by the stalks and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where can we buy polonchay seeds? Is Chinese spinach and polonchay the sam?

      Delete
  3. Pong tuay lah, chichiri pong tuay lah, polunchay, chay chay chay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polonchay is available in MarketPlace Katipunan for locked down wellbeing. I'ts very seldom though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polonchay is available in many Korean stores in Manila. True that peanut oil is rare, usually a chinese brand when you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It's not. Kulitis has bigger leave and round, while poloncjay has thinner leaves and elongated, but yes, it can be added to monggo like kulitis or fish soup :)

      Delete
  7. where did u get seeds from polunchay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to China, I requested my relative to buy polonchay seeds for me, she said China prohibits to sell polonchay seeds..

      Delete
  8. Yes ,it is true in mainland China they prohibit to sell polonchay seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my experience it can be found most of the time in carvajal. I always buy there. The real problem with polontsai is that it easily wilts. Its not good for storage and travel like kangkong. Its like a coriander. Forget it for a day and its mushy. For cooking it. Usually just blanching and roasted sesame oil and garlic. Bit of salt. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...