27 January 2015

Shake it

Makopa (Malay rose apple)

There seems to be some confusion among Tagalogs as to what makopa is. These here are makopa, also known as Malay rose apple. They’re not to be confused with tambis or water apple, which are smaller, rounder (not ovate), paler (as in pinkish), and crunchier. The two are closely related, but makopa is makopa and tambis is tambis. Are we clear on that?

Good — because I prefer tambis over makopa. Not that I have to choose between the two, especially since they don’t come into season at the same time. In any case, I was not too impressed with these particular makopa. They were ripe, which is not how I like them (to the extent that I like makopa, that is). You can tell when you press into one and its skin yields to the pressure. Once ripe, makopa, like tambis, tends to go mushy fast (see below). It’s mostly water, after all.

Sliced makopa

After two days the fruits were languishing, aswarm with all sorts of insect. “Shouldn’t you throw those out?” my father asked. And I would have, too, if I didn’t suddenly remember the NutriBullet that one sister had given us on her last visit and which I had yet to break in.

Makopa shake

Making shake from makopa will not go down as one of my more inspired brainstorms, I knew that going in. Oh, it wasn't all that bad, even if I had to throw in some mandarin oranges and a bit of honey to mask the astringent taste (apud) and lend the drink a more pronounced sweetness. Honestly, I won’t be doing it again (makopa shake, I mean). But as a demonstration of the NutriBullet’s efficiency, I was very satisfied indeed. The gadget has a promising future in my kitchen, what with my old blender breaking down and the food processor having too many parts (to clean). Can you tell I’m more excited about that?

Makopa (Malay rose apple)

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...