29 February 2016

Chorizo sunshine

Chinese chorizo & egg

It’s fun to goof around in the kitchen, more so when the result comes out looking (and tasting) like this. That’s simply fried egg ringed with slices of Chinese chorizo (Kwong Bee brand), finished with a healthy smattering of sriracha sauce and plopped on a bed of steaming rice. Yummeh, as Coco Martin would say.

To make, arrange thin slices of chorizo into a ring in a cold non-stick pan. Fry on medium heat without moving around or turning over for a minute or so, seeing that they do not burn. Then break an egg into the center and season. Cover pan and cook on low heat until egg has set. Drizzle with hot sauce, garnish with chopped parsley or green onion, and serve over rice. It should come off the pan in one piece, but if not, no big deal. Life’s too short, and breakfast too early in the day. Don’t sweat it.

Chorizo sunshine

I topped off my meal with an ear of sweet golden corn “grilled” in the same pan (I had earlier steamed it over the rice as that finished cooking). The fat rendered by the chorizo made it of a piece with the entrée. My dogs rallied table-side when they caught whiff of the food. “Not today,” I had told them — this was one of my better ideas and I wanted to savor the moment, have it all to myself. If I have to be honest, I’m too easy to please.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...