20 June 2016

You call that what?!?

Inun-unan caraballas (yellowstripe scad poached in vinegar)

As with tinowa, the only thing I do not eat in inún-unán is the fish. Good, fresh fish is central to both dishes, that’s for sure, but as long as I have enough of the vegetables and soup (to the extent that inún-unán is soupy or vegetable-y), I’m a happy camper.

Jenny knows a lot about poaching fish in vinegar. It is the one dish that she has to have for breakfast, and she cooks it, as the old Michael Franks song goes, “about nineteen different ways.” In our home, there is only one way to make the dish, and that is with the least amount of vinegar, or else invite my father’s displeasure. It is so deficient in sourness, I really can not blame anyone for thinking it’s very light sinigang. Heck, my tinowa has more acid. But I live with it, have even come to like it — with lots of vegetables, that is. If I had any pretensions, I would pass it off as fusion, ha-ha.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...