16 July 2012

Love hurts

Tuna lasagna

I love tuna. My gout doesn’t. Sometimes when I’ve gone for days without that telltale throb in my left foot, I take up some fishwife’s offer of mangkô or tulingan (mackerel tuna), preferably the ones with rounded bodies, which taste better than the flat ones. Fried, grilled (which tastes better if you leave the guts in), in clear aromatic soup (tinowá/tinola) or poached in vinegar (inún-unán/paksiw), tuna is comfort food. Sometimes when the catch is particularly abundant, the price plummets to absurd lows and people buy mangkô in bulk, pack the butterflied fish in salt, and store them for months. This is tinabál. I have always meant to try it but never got the chance. And now I’m afraid to, because I suspect I’ll love it. To death. I love myself more, and I also have hypertension.

I love fish oil. It comes in softgel capsules. The label says that it “may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease,” although “the evidence is not conclusive.” I wish it were, but when it actually works, it’s on my arthritis. The only reason I don’t take it regularly is that it leaves me hungry the whole day, and I am quite enamored with my new 28-inch waistline. This leaves my left foot throbbing from time to time. And lately my right as well. I see a can of Century and imagine the possibilities. Have I mentioned I love tuna? Canned, too. With lots of rice. Or between thick slices of crusty bread, with hard-boiled eggs, Tartar sauce, and lettuce. Better still in lasagna, layered with cheesy bechamel and fresh pesto. I love lasagna. I can imagine the pain, but there you have it.

Tuna lasagna

I love torturing myself. Pass me that capsule; I’m only human.

This post has 2 comments.

  1. I live at The Azores which is a portuguese archipelago and we also use "bonito" as a way to say tuna... your lasagna looks so prettey with the green leaves... sure to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Actually, we refer to tuna in the vernacular as “tulingan” or “mangko.” Those are “baby” basil leaves on top of the lasagna. Do try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...