30 December 2014

Recycling the holidays

Potato & ham croquettes

“Another typhoon?” my sister yells into the phone. “Isn’t it too soon after the last one?" She has been away for so long she has forgotten what life is like in these islands. Already, Tropical Storm Seniang has dumped more rain on us than the dreaded Ruby ever did (that one was actually kind of anticlimactic — not that we weren’t thankful to be spared from its wrath). Same thing happened last January with Basyang. Our ground floor was flooded then. We can only hope the downpour stops before the river out back spills its banks. That would ruin Ma’s party.

“A party? With the weather you’re having?” In case you haven’t noticed, Sis communicates in interrogatives. It can be annoying if you’re not used to it. “What do you want for the kitchen? Shall I get you a French oven?” See? It’s not all that bad, although Ma had beat her to it. “Well, is there anything else you need?” Why pass up an opportunity? I settle for some Le Creuset minis.

Now back to the party. Ma has invited several of her old classmates over for a late afternoon social. She had wanted some sort of barbecue, but I said no. “I’m sticking to the theme.”

“And what would that be?”

Potato & ham croquettes

I love to cook. It also goes that I take pleasure in feeding people. But it doesn’t mean I have to socialize with them — I don’t enjoy that part. Or the one where I have to deal with leftovers. Not that I take it personally; I’m my own harshest critic. But barring spoilage, I will see to it that you (or someone else, I don’t really care who) finish those leftovers one way or another. I will live to fight another day.

Ma was aghast. “You are not feeding my friends leftovers!”

“Whyever not? I promise, they won’t even know it. Here,” I handed her a croquette made from surplus pork chops and the Chinese ham and baked potato from Christmas Eve dinner. “Taste this.”

And that’s how today’s menu came to revolve around the ham. The girls will have it baked with sweet orange sauce, in spaghetti Bolognese, and in the aforementioned croquette. For dessert, an assortment of pastries given by friends, and, in keeping with the theme, a cappuccino cronut pudding (more on that next time).

Now she’s excited. And with the inclement weather, a bit worried too. She calls up the classmates. “It's just rain. Bring an umbrella, for God’s sake. You don’t want to miss the food.” It’s music to my ears.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...