25 October 2015

Pasta Sirena

Tuna pasta

Bo’s isn’t my idea of a meal. I don’t even drink kape, so why was I there? Friends, that’s why. It had been a long day and our energies were flagging, which is not something I usually admit to, being it was only 6PM, but when among barkada, owning up to an ever-growing list of infirmities takes on a perverse spirit of one-upmanship.

“Oh my God,” someone would inevitably say, “you too? What are you on? Really? I’m up to 1000mg — pasalamat ka.”

“That’s because you’re old.”

“Excuse me. Only by a year.”

“Two.”

“Same thing.”

Frankly, I don’t know where I’m going with this. Anyway, there we were at Bo’s Coffee in IT Park, and I was starving. After going without rice for the past three days, I imagined I had earned the right to treat myself to some carbs, so ordered the Spanish sardines pasta. It was quite tasty, generous with capers and black olives, although the fish was mushed into the sauce, more background flavor than the star the menu had made it out to be. Do I sound like I’m complaining?

If you don’t recall my effort at sardines three months ago, well, that did not turn out too well. I did manage to make some pretty decent dishes with it, though, including one with pasta. Anyway, please excuse my photos as of late; my camera’s falling apart and somehow I haven’t had time (maybe the money, ugh) to have it seen to. No — that is definitely not sardines with the pasta here, but tuna. And not just any tuna, either:

Sirena-brand canned tuna

If you happen to know where I can buy the Sirena brand in Cebu or Manila, do tell. Our family is quite crazy for it, although not as crazy (with panic) as when our supply runs low. Like presently, for instance. This stuff is canned in Thailand but sold (exclusively, I guess, although I hope not) in Australia. It is so good I eat it straight from the can. Now we’re almost out, I’m loathe to go back to Century.

Sirena-brand canned tuna

On the other hand, that ought to be a good thing, no? Fresh or preserved, tuna is moderately high in purines, which the body converts to uric acid. But then again, so are red meat, shellfish, legumes, alcohol — and sardines. Didn’t I say I don’t know where this is leading? I guess I’m just working on my guilt for polishing off that bowl of tuna pasta. It was meant for sharing, but no one was answering their phones that day. Where are friends when you need them?

Tuna Pasta

This recipe has no stipulated ingredient amounts. Just be sensible about using more of those that you like and you can’t go wrong. Remember to save some of the water you cook your pasta with.

Tuna pasta
  • spaghetti, cooked (save some of cooking liquid)
  • your canned tuna of choice, drained
  • extra-virgin olive oil

  • garlic, minced
  • red tomatoes, sliced into chunks
  • capers, rinsed
  • black olives, sliced
  • lemon juice
  • lemon zest, grated
  • dried chili flakes

  • parsley or basil, minced
  • black pepper, ground
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  1. Sauté garlic in olive oil until fragrant but not burnt. Add tomato chunks and stir around for a minute, then add tuna, capers, and black olives. Cook for another minute.
  2. Add pasta into pan, plus lemon juice and zest. Mix well. If dish is too dry, add some of the reserved pasta water.
  3. Plate tuna pasta and garnish with chili, flakes, ground black pepper, and parsley or basil. Grate Parmesan cheese on top and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with warm bread.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...