31 January 2016

This one’s for you

Homemade Egg McMuffin

McDonald’s lost me at breakfast when it ceased offering tapsilog, but it’s right across where I live in Cebu, so when I’m feeling lazy, which is most mornings, that’s where I go. If asked, I would be hard-pressed to name you one item from its current breakfast menu (it’s that unmemorable), even as my memory of that tapsilog grows more romanticized. Was it that good? I seriously doubt it, but it makes me wonder sometimes.

Oh, I have an idea what an Egg McMuffin is. I’m sure that I’ve eaten more than my fair share of it. Presumably it’s a cultural thing, because I couldn’t quite understand J. Kenji López-Alt’s fascination with it. I mean, I love egg sandwich as much as the next person, it’s just that I had never considered McDo’s deserving of a fan base, much less a Food Labs homage.

Still, anything homemade sounds good to me. Only problem was, where to get English muffins and Canadian bacon? Not on my side of the island, that was for certain (I’m talking about Leyte now). At least I could bake my own muffins (and did!). As for bacon, I decided ham would work just as well.

So that was breakfast. If you’re ever in need of a quick McDonald’s fix, the sandwich is more than adequate. Fine, even. Which just goes to show that you’re better off doing it yourself. Now it’s time to hit the the beach. I hope the stall around the corner still has lechon, because I don’t feel like making lunch.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...