02 May 2016

The deciding factor

Braised lechon

You think you know what this is. Humba, right? Well, it actually started out as lechon paksiw. Blame it on Sprite.

See, I once heard someone mention that she makes her paksiw with Sprite. What I failed to consider was that eight ounces/a cup go(es) a long way. As I was only cooking a quarter kilo of day-old lechon, the resulting sauce was uncharacteristically sweet for a paksiw. I considered adding more vinegar but thought better of it (of Pa, more like). Instead I reached for the tumbler of salted black beans. Shiitake mushrooms sealed the deal.

Braised lechon

Good it was, too. If anyone had doubts about what the dish was supposed to be, they went unvoiced. After all, my mother used to cook a similar dish, but with pork chops and Coke. Don’t tell her, but I never really liked it. I did not use a drop of oil for this one, by the way — that’s all rendered fat, baby, perfect for bahug, that is, mixed with rice. Shall we eat?

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...