29 October 2014

Winner-eat-all

San Francisco-style bagels

And you thought I was kidding about those bagels. I was, actually, until I mentioned having a recipe or two bookmarked, which I wasn’t sure about, to be honest. So I looked and there it was. And then I just had to make it.

I couldn’t help myself; I am a sucker for all sorts of reinforcement. In my head is a picture of a multi-million peso check made out to yours truly, courtesy of the PCSO. Can you blame me for psyching myself up for that? Even if I don’t play lotto? On the news recently was this guy who had won the jackpot, except that his misis had ironed the ticket to a crisp. Setting aside the fact that the woman had never heard of thermal paper, what were the chances of such a hapless confluence of events? Anything is possible.

Which was why everyone thought I was making doughnuts. There was much disappointment when the rings turned out to be… “More bread?” someone blurted out. I could hardly blame them. If it were up to me I would be making croissants instead, but I’m not delusional. “Just you wait,” I said. “These won’t be as bad.”

And they weren’t. No kidding. At least not as bad as they looked. The specimens pictured here were more the exception than the rule. They even look greasy as Bong Revilla’s palms although the recipe called for practically no oil (and I wasn’t tempted to add any, just in case you’re wondering). I console myself with the knowlledge that the author said they would look more or less like this. I assume the worst, of course.

Toasted bagel with cream cheese & bacon

I don’t go out of my way for bagels (or doughnuts for that matter), but these were good. I had to say that out loud because everyone else was hesitant to taste the bread. Maybe I am delusional. Whatever. Toasted, the bagels were crispy on the outside, chewy inside, and screaming for something savory in between. Enter cream cheese and bacon. Anybody out there listening? It’s really quite tasty, even the bread.

Anyone?

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...