04 May 2015

A good rib is hard to resent

Sweet & spicy pork ribs

Every time I declare good something that I have made myself, Ma ribs me about “loving my own.” I shouldn’t be defensive, but sometimes I can’t help it. I’m not always as cool as I like to be. It takes me a mere second to regret taking the bait, and then I’m left feeling foolish.

My parents are on an extended trip right now, leaving me a lot of time for unfettered self-congratulation for my saucy pork ribs. Actually, I eagerly await their return so I can cook them a batch, see what they think, and if my mother gives me sass (because I am not the only one with self-control issues around here, you know), I’m prepared to keep my cool, that’s how confident I am about the dish. At least that’s what I tell myself. Let’s see.

Although I adore everything porcine, I had cooked ribs only once before. Too much trouble for too little meat. Hence the sauce, to extend the dish (more rice!). To tell you the truth, it tasted just like humba, which I have no problem admitting I still have to master. And despite what I said only a day ago that lean humba is for sissies, I gladly eat my words in this case. With that sauce, if you please (it also goes well with barbecue; simply combine the first five ingredients and use as is — no need to cook).

This is yet another recipe that features kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). I use the condiment in any dish that calls for both regular soy sauce and sugar, even if not in equal proportion. If you can not find kecap manis where you live, not to worry; here is my homemade version. The Chinese black vinegar is optional, but if you must find a substitute, cane vinegar will do.

This is finger food, so go ahead and dig in with your hands. Lick that sauce off your fingers, and if there’s any left in the pan, throw some rice in there and mix it all up. Of course, like humba, this dish is beast eaten, reheated, a day or two after. Will it even last that long? Foolishness, I declare.

Sweet & Spicy Pork Ribs

Have your butcher remove the membrane from the ribs (it’s that opaque film covering the bony side) before cutting. Or see this video to learn how to do it yourself. This version is only mildly hot; feel free to add more hot sauce.

Sweet & spicy spare ribs
  • 1 kilo pork ribs, cut into 2″-long pieces
  • 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, for frying

  • For the marinade:
  • 2 tablespoons kecap manis
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic

  • For the sauce:
  • 1 cup Sprite
  • ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoons kecap manis
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sriracha or any hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon ginger juice
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
  • 1 teaspoon black vinegar (optional)

  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • toasted sesame seeds
  1. In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients and coat ribs with the mixture. Marinate for at least four hours, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
  2. Heat oil in flat-bottomed skillet and fry ribs (single layer) until browned on all sides. Do this in batches if you must. Set aside remaining marinade, if any.
  3. Combine sauce ingredients along with remaining marinade (if any). Pour over the ribs and wait for the liquid to boil, then cover pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for an hour or until ribs are tender (add a little water if the liquid dries up before then). Season to taste, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and serve.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...