21 February 2016

A man, a pan, a plan

Steamed saminan (trevally)

After two rounds of the market, I finally settled for saminán (trevally, talakitok to you Tagalogs). Just a slice, mind: it’s a fish my father does not appreciate enough. Or, lately, at all, so as long as it was at a disadvantage, I decided to try steaming, of which Pa is also obviously not a fan.

On parchment paper, I laid a bed of crushed lemongrass bulbs and green onion, placed the cleaned saminán (skin-side down) on top, and rubbed it with a teaspoonful of lemon juice. To season, salt, cracked black pepper, minced garlic, sliced finger chili, and chopped parsley, followed by a good drizzle of sesame oil. And then I realized I forgot to put the sliced ginger in with the bedding, so placed them on top, beneath the sliced lemon. To seal, I folded and crimped/pleated along the edges, using a couple of paper clips for good measure (the slice was quite thick). Steaming time: 8 minutes. As a final flourish, I opened the packet, sprinkled a bit of sugar on the fish, and poured hot peanut oil over it.

Pa took a perfunctory nibble and that was it for him. I made up for his lack of enthusiasm, and meant it, too. This was seriously good fish: firm-tender yet flaky, and clean of taste. I especially liked the flavorful juices that had pooled at the bottom. At least I convinced him to give that a try, found he was more receptive to it.

Did I mention the fish came with bihud? I had never cooked roe before, so I asked around and came up with this:

Stir-fried fish roe in oyster sauce

…stir-fried with oyster sauce and lots of sweet yellow onion and green bell pepper, plus finger chili for heat. I have to confess that it failed to impress anyone, least of all me, but I never much liked the texture of bihud anyway, so there. I reserve my excitement for the steamed fish. A friend celebrates her birthday this week, around the full moon, so with any luck she can look forward to the dish. And then we’ll get steamed ourselves.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...