14 September 2016

Staying in the moment

Grilled saminan/talakitok (trevally)

A late-morning visit to the fish market yielded only saminán/talakitok (trevally). It was bitterly cold last night, discouraging fishermen from going out into an otherwise calm sea, thus the empty stalls. Indeed, the saminán was the only fish that looked fresh.

I had it stuffed with spices, then grilled. And just because I could, I basted it with clarified butter (actually, store-bought ghee). Smelled really nice, but then fresh fish always does without much help. Served with sautéed ujáp, chopped tomatoes in a Thai-inspired vinaigrette, and spring onion “salsa” (a take on one of the sauces/dips accompanying Hainanese chicken, mine spiked with chili flakes and doused in hot peanut oil) — damn.

Then I thought of Pa. What would he have made of the meal, trevally not being his kind of fish? It bothers me to enjoy fish he does not like. But he won’t be back until tomorrow, so I decide to savor the moment. I just hope tonight will not as cold.

Grilled saminan/talakitok (trevally)

Are you interested in another recipe featuring this wonderful fish? I highly recommend steamed trevally.

This post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...